When you thank someone for what he or she has done, in a way you unlock the door for other good things to happen. Every human person desires to be appreciated for the things they do. A little word of appreciation goes a long way in bringing smiles to someone’s face. The Ibos have a saying that is loosely translated as: ‘If you praise a great one for doing something, he will do more.’ This is true for most human beings, how much our creator who continually showers on both the good and bad alike his blessings.
How many times have we failed to thank Him for the good things He has done for us instead of complaining about the ones He didn’t do. He says I will provide all your needs according to His riches in glory. According to the good news bible, psalm 23 says: “The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need.” At times our wants conflicts with our needs and in economics it is said that man’s wants are insatiable.
How many times have we rushed out of our houses in the morning without stopping to say thanks to God for all He has done for us? How many times do we remember God only when we need a favor from Him and when He does answer us, we tend to forget Him? All the hours we spent at His temple pleading, crying, entreating and making promises are all forgotten in the enjoyment of His blessings. When He doesn’t heed to our requests, we question Him. Does He bless us, so that we can forget Him? He doesn’t eat food, or need our wealth; all we have and are comes from Him, who is sufficient for us. All He asks in return for all the good things He has given us and all the blessings He has bestowed upon us is a worthy sacrifice of praise. He wants us to be truly thankful for the little gifts He gives us, to appreciate his mercies upon our lives.
There is something I would like to share with everyone, I read it somewhere and I copied it down, it goes like this: “What if God couldn’t take the time to bless us today because we could not take the time to thank Him yesterday. What if God decided to stop leading us tomorrow because we didn’t follow Him today? What if we never saw another flower bloom because we grumbled when God sent the rain? What if God didn’t walk with us today because we failed to recognize it as His day? What if God took away the Bible tomorrow; because we wouldn’t read it today? What if God took His message because we failed to listen to His prophets and disciples? What if the door of heaven was closed; because we didn’t open the door of our hearts? What if God would not hear us today because we would not listen to Him yesterday? What if God answered our prayers the way we answered His calls? What if God met our needs the way we gave Him our lives?”
All I want is for us to develop a heart that is full of praise, a mind that is constantly full of thoughts on all God’s blessings and to always remember that even though God says No to our request or prayers, it’s still an answer. He knows best. He is our All in all; He alone is enough. He says: “Be still and know that I am God.” It is time to stop worrying and complaining and start praising and thanking God from the depth of our hearts. It’s time to worship him with songs, hymns and psalms. He who sings well prays twice.
Now I am going to think of three hundred and sixty five reasons to thank God. Am not sure I know them all but I will try and I as keep remembering, I will keep updating and if you have any other reasons apart from the ones I have written, feel free to update them.
- The most important of all reasons, Lord I’m thankful for the gift of my life.
- I am grateful for the ability to breathe.
- I give You thanks for Your wonderful son Jesus who paid the eternal price for my sins.
- I praise You for sending me the Holy Spirit as my guide and counselor.
- I worship You because You gave my own guardian angel.
- I thank You God for giving me Mary to be my mother.
- I am thankful for loving and supportive parents.
- I bless You Lord for wonderful siblings.
- I am grateful for a large and warm extended family.
- I am happy that I have a place to rest my head at night.
- I am grateful for the rain and the sunshine, the moon, sun and stars and all the other heavenly bodies.
- With all my heart, I am grateful that in spite of all my sins, yet You never hesitate to forgive me.
- I am thankful for the ability to go to school, read, understand and retain and most especially for loving pupils, classmates and course mates.
- I am thankful for good health in spite of the numerous visits to the hospitals.
- I am thankful for the gift of wonderful friends and enemies whoever the enemies might be.
- I am grateful for all the numerous blessings and also for my disappointments.
- I thank You God for all the times I had asked You for certain favors and You said No and I thought You didn’t want to answer. Now I know that a No from You is also an answer.
- I am thankful for the way You have created, I might not be supermodel material but I have my body parts complete and functioning and I am beautiful just the way I am.
- I am thankful for food to eat and water to drink.
- I am thankful for being a Nigerian in spite of all the hardships that we face as a people.
- I am grateful for having people who inspired me to start this blog.
- I am grateful for the wonderful people who take their time to read the articles and comment.
- I am thankful for the best department in Nigeria and for the lovely people I met there; the special Team’13.
- I am thankful for all the priests I have met and for the major fact that I am a catholic.
- I am thankful for the fact that God has blessed me beyond boundaries and that I can write.
I Know I said I was going to write 365 reasons to be thankful but i can only think of 25 reasons that encompasses all that i am grateful about. So I am looking at you my wonderful readers to make up the remaining 340 reasons why we should all be grateful and once i have them all, i will make a post.